Public Works Department
The City of Winfield is seeking a Full-Time Public Works Director/Zoning Administrator Position. Duties include all aspects of public works including water plant/distribution, wastewater lagoons and collection system, gas utility, streets, parks, pool, municipal buildings, properties, budgeting, and a team leader for the Public Works Department. A full job description and applications are available at the Winfield City Office, 115 N. Locust Street and online at https://www.winfieldiowa.com/public-works-department. Post offer physical, drug screen, and background check required. Salaries based on qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted until September 14, 2021. EOE
Job Title: Public Works Director/Zoning Administrator
Job Objective: Responsible for the new construction of streets and storm sewers and maintenance and repair program for the City of Winfield Street Dept. and city parks.
Responsible for the coordination, scheduling, budgeting of the city utilities-gas, water, and sewer.
- Supervise, direct and assist employees of the public works department
- Plan safety training, keep all safety and training records, make sure all OSHA guidelines and standards are followed, develop and implement safety policies and procedures, attend safety meetings as required
- Contact Person and responsible for the OSHA Safety programs and necessary updates with the assistance of the SASSO Safety Group which the City is a member of with assistance from the City Clerk
- Perform and supervise the wide variety of tasks relevant to the Public Works Department that are necessary to keep Winfield in a well-groomed and progressive atmosphere
- Maintain and repair streets, roadways, alleys, storm sewer system
- Keep parks and other city property mowed and well groomed
- Keep buildings clean and well maintained
- Responsible for snow and ice removal on streets
- Plan for, procure, and maintain in stock sufficient supplies to carry out duties and within budget constraints
- Develop continual three year street improvement program
- Prepare annual budget for the street department with the cooperation of the City Clerk
- Coordinate and schedule the activities, prepare the budgets for the gas, water & sewer departments
- Zoning Inspector for City, responsible for enforcing the zoning ordinances as set by the Council
- Subject to random drug and alcohol testing
- High School diploma or GED
- Able to obtain the Water Certificate for Winfield Water Dept.-Grade 2 Water Treatment and Grade 1 Water Distribution-and necessary CEU’s to renew the certificate as necessary.
- Able to obtain Wastewater Certificate for a Grade 1 Wastewater Operation-and necessary CEU’s to renew the certificate as necessary.
- Able to obtain CPO Certification (Certified Pool & Spa Operator)-and necessary CEU’s to renew the certificate as necessary.
- Excellent public relation skills
- Must possess valid CDL driver’s license as required by current City equipment
- Required at times to lift over 50 pounds
- Residency requirement to be determined
- Present positive image of City
- Able to operate dump truck, tractor with loader, maintainer and other equipment necessary to fulfill the position
- Need to be honest and work cooperatively with other City employees and departments
- Knowledge of working with and operating within a budget
- Organized and able to make efficient use of time
The City of Winfield reserves the right to make revisions or additions to this position as they deem necessary.